Traveling full time and being a tour guide in Magdala is amazing. I’m living a dream i’ve had since I was a teenager back in my small hometown. That doesn’t mean I don’t still get homesick from time to time though! Today it struck me particularly hard so I thought I’d share five personal things I miss most while I’m away from home.
- Family – This one is obvious (Hi, Mom) but it’s tough being away from family & friends living half way around the world. You miss holidays, birthdays and just the general being able to see people for dinner or for a few drinks. It’s difficult but I think it makes you really appreciate your family and value the time you do get to spend with him. Next year I’ll be working with my brother in his office in Indianapolis and we’ll get to be in the same place for six months for the first time since we were in high school and we’ll also spend some time visiting home.
- My Home Gym – Most places outside of the western world don’t have the same types of gyms we have if they have any at all. A lot of times it’s a few benches falling apart in a hot small room with no fans. Back home my gym has a great weight room, pool, basketball court and sauna. They also have yoga classes where it doesn’t hurt that there are beautiful girls rocking yoga & harem pants all over the place.
- Nights Out With My Mates – I’ve met a ton of great people traveling and with my job I get to meet cool people every week. Sometimes we meet up for drinks or a night out and it’s almost always a blast. I get to learn a lot about different countries & cultures and make contacts for people I can visit next time I hit the road. That being said, it’s always different then when you hit the town with your friends you’ve grown up with. All the inside jokes & banter, reminiscing and just general familiarity makes it a totally different experience.
- Cookies! – I’ll admit it, i’m addicted to Cherrydale Cookie Dough and I like to eat it without baking it sometimes, sue me! I don’t like the cookies over here, they are all dry and crunchy and lack a certain chewiness I crave. I try to eat clean and workout but everyone has their vices and the scent and taste of freshly based chocolate chip cookies from cookie dough is mine. Mmm maybe I shouldn’t have even written this one down because now I can hear my stomach growling as I type.
- Rock Concerts – We don’t get a lot of them here and man do I miss hearing some electric guitar live. The sound, the energy and everything about a good rock show is just in my blood. I just have to hold out for another two months though and I’ll get to see Bad Rabbits for New Years, BR ALL DAY!